The Reader OrganisationMay 28 2015
Calderstones Mansion House, Calderstones Park, Liverpool, L18 3JB
0151 729 email@example.comVisit websiteFacebook pageTwitter account
The Reader Organisation is a charitable social enterprise working to connect people with literature through shared reading.
The aims of the older people and dementia work programme are to
- ensure quality literature and our unique shared reading model is accessible to all irrespective of age or health
- improve quality of life and care for people living with dementia and their carers
- establish shared reading as a non-medical intervention for people with a diagnosis of dementia
For older people and those living with dementia, shared reading groups improve quality of life through cognitive stimulation, social interaction and meaningful engagement each week.
Carers and care home staff notice that improvements in mood and concentration last long after the group has finished, demonstrating the wider impact of the groups.
Evaluation of the Reader Organisation’s Get Into Reading groups shows:
- improved mood for 86% of readers
- greater concentration for 87% of readers
- increased social interaction for 73%
- less agitation for 86% of readers
Find out more about the Reader Organisation at www.thereader.org.uk