Dementia Care Pathway: full implementation guidanceOctober 12 2018
The Dementia Care Pathway: full implementation guidance, published by the National Collaborating Centre for Mental Health (NCCMH), sets out key commissioning and service development considerations in the delivery and quality of care and support for people living with dementia and their families and carers.
Download The dementia care pathway: full implementation guidance | Appendices and helpful guidance
The guidance outlines the pathway and associated benchmarks to support improvements in the delivery and quality of care and support, for people living with dementia and their families and carers. It sets out what good quality assessment, diagnosis and care looks like in relation to formal guidance, in addition to the views and expectations of people living with dementia and their carers.
The guidance accompanies and builds on NHS England’s shorter Implementation guide and resource pack for dementia care published in July 2017 and revisd in January 2018.
The guide has two clear requirements to enhance dementia care, through:
- increasing the number of people being diagnosed with dementia, and starting treatment, within six weeks from referral; and
- improving the quality of post-diagnostic treatment and support for people with dementia and their carers.
The appendices and helpful guidance includes a diagram of the full pathway, a summary of NICE recommended care for people along the Dementia Well Pathway, information on HEE’s Dementia Core Skills Education and Training Framework and on NHS England Dementia: Good Care Planning, guidance for recording dementia care pathway benchmarks in the MHSDS, recommendations for outcomes measurement and examples of services who are already providing high quality care and elements of the pathways and some helpful web-based resources.
This guide is supported by:
- Dementia coding resource outlines the minimum information that should be included in dementia care planning and offers a frame of reference and a view of the depth and breadth of the areas to address in dementia care planning.
- Good care planning guide for dementia
- RightCare dementia pathway scenario