Dementia Information and Support for Carers (DISC)November 18 2019
DISC (Dementia Information and Support for Carers) is a service offered in Sandwell, specifically for carers of people with confusion, memory problems or a dementia diagnosis and is part of Crossroads Caring for Carers.
Caring for someone with dementia can at times be difficult, exhausting, lonely and overwhelming. Our DISC team support family carers through their journey of caring, enabling them to continue for as long as possible.
DISC can help prior to your loved one having a diagnosis – helping to signpost, looking at options, supporting with the implementation of a care package or accessing financial support. You can also attend your local Carers Group, to meet others in a similar situation and enjoy the peer support.
We can offer ongoing support, information and advice throughout your caring journey.
You will be allocated a Dementia Adviser who will provide –
- Carer Support Groups
- Various additional group sessions for carers, which include – arts & crafts, music therapy, light exercise sessions, guest speakers and social outings for both the carer and person with dementia. Please call 0121 553 6483, option 6 for the most up to date information on groups that are taking place each month in Sandwell
- One-to-one support and home visits
- An advocacy service, including support in accessing Social Workers and other statutory bodies (GP’s, District Nurses, Incontinence Team, Occupational Therapists, etc)
- Help with acquiring a diagnosis of dementia
- Dementia awareness sessions, either in a group setting or in your own home
- Benefit entitlement advice and assistance to complete forms (including Carers Allowance, Attendance Allowance, etc) fire safety checks and referrals to the pension service
- Information on the law and carers rights, including wills and power of attorney
- Support at meetings with professional agencies
- Referrals to local authorities to access services i.e. care packages, day centres, respite care, occupational therapists for aids and adaptations, etc.
We have Dementia Advisers who speak Asian languages.
To make a referral, visit www.sandwellcrossroads.org/disc-home.