Activities and social groups
Remaining active, occupied and engaged with others is important and can support individual and family resilience.
Many interests, hobbies and pastimes that have been enjoyed can continue with support or with adjustments and can include movement and exercise, creative arts, culture and religion.
There may be local initiatives which are specifically for people with dementia, these may include: lunch clubs, memory cafes, peer support groups, day hospital/day treatment centres
- Active Minds – dementia activity resourcesFebruary 15 2016Active Minds produce a suite of activity products to assist people with dementia in leading active, engaging and fulfilling lives - enjoying activities that are meaningful to them.
- The Daily SparkleFebruary 8 2016The Daily Sparkle is a professionally written daily and weekly reminiscence and activity tool supported by the UK's leading care organisations such as the NHS, AgeUK and DementiaUK.
- Prime Minister’s challenge on dementia 2020February 21 2015The Prime Minister recently launched the government’s five year vision for the future of dementia care, support and research, which follows on from the existing Prime Minister’s Challenge on Dementia, launched in March 2012.
- QS30: Supporting people to live well with dementiaApril 3 2013This quality standard, published by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), covers the care and support of people with dementia.
- Dementia: A state of the nation report on dementia care and support in EnglandNovember 29 2013This report, published by the Department of Health, sets out what is known about dementia care, support and research. It highlights where improvements are being made and where improvements are needed.
- Building dementia-friendly communities: A priority for everyoneSeptember 3 2013This report, published by the Alzheimer's Society, explores evidence from people with dementia about their experiences of living in their community and the ten key things they would like to see in a dementia-friendly community.
- Dementia AdventureDementia Adventure is a registered charity dedicated to supporting people with dementia to get outdoors, connect with nature, themselves and their community, and retain a sense of adventure in their lives.Unit 11, Old Park Farm, Main Road, Ford End, Essex, CM3 1LN01245 email@example.com http://www.dementiaadventure.co.uk/
- Drop in Cafe Romiley Life CentreCome along each week or whenever you want a bit company and a natter. We meet every Thursday 3-4.00pm at Romiley Life Centre. 3 Stockport Road, Romiley, Stockport, SK6 4BNMargaret 0161 406 6729
- Friday Drop In – Heaton MoorThe Friday Drop In Heaton Moor offers a friendly get together for people with dementia. We meet every Friday 1.30-3.30pm at Heaton Moor United Church. Heaton Moor United Church, Stanley Road, Heaton Moor, Stockport, SK4 4HL0161 477 6999
- Singing for the Brain, Hazel GroveSinging for the Brain brings people together in a friendly, fun and social environment. The Singing for the Brain group meets at the Hazel Grove Civic Hall every fortnight on a Thursday from 11:00-12:30.United Reform Church. Short Street Hazel Grove. SK7 4AD0161 477 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reddish Dementia Friendly CafeReddish Dementia Friendly Cafe provides a friendly get together for people with dementia, their family, carers and friends. The cafe is held every Wednesday from 12.00-3.00pm at St Agnes Church in North Reddish.The Tapestry, St Agnes Church, North Reddish, SK5 6RA07498996634
- Offerton Dementia Drop InCome along for a cuppa and a chat at our friendly and relaxed dementia drop in on the third Wednesday of the month from 11.30am - 1.30pm at the Offerton Community Centre.Offerton Community Centre, Mallowdale Road, Offerton, SK2 5NX
- Drop In Cafe Governors House PubCome along to the Drop In Cafe at Governors House for the refreshments of your choice at this popular and stylish venue in Cheadle Hulme. The Drop In Cafe takes place on alternate Wednesdays from 11:00 am.Governors House Pub, 43 Ravenoak Road, Cheadle Hulme, SK8 7EQ0161 485 2453 (Sue) 0161 449 9795 (Suzanne)https://www.rotary-ribi.org/clubs/homepage.php?ClubID=324
- Best foot forward walking groupBest foot forward walking group provides a supported walk for people living with dementia and their carers. The walk lasts for 30 minutes and takes place around Abney Hall Park, which is wheel chair friendly. The walk takes place fortnightly on a Thursday at 11.30 am.Abney Court Care Home, Manchester Road, Cheadle, SK8 2PD07800 email@example.com://www.walkingforhealth.org.uk/content/abney-hall-park-dementia-friendly-walk
- Drop in cafe Debenhams, StockportThe drop in cafe is held every Monday from 14:00-15:00 in Debenhams, Stockport. The cafe provides information about living with dementia and support services available in an informal and comfortable environment.Debenhams Cafe, Debenhams plc, Princes Street, Stockport, SK1 1TS0161 477 6999 firstname.lastname@example.org
- ThriveThrive is the leading charity in the UK using gardening to change the lives of disabled people. Thrive run structured programmes of activities for people with dementia which focus on positive reminiscence, re-connecting with others including friends and family and gentle appropriate exercise and cognitive stimulationThe Geoffrey Udall Centre, Beech Hill, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 2AT0118 988 email@example.com://www.thrive.org.uk/
- Engage & CreateEngage & Create is a not-for-profit organisation that uses creativity and conversation to improve the quality of life for people with dementia and those that care for them.Brighton, UKrachel@engageandcreate.comhttp://www.engageandcreate.com
- Alzheimer’s SocietyAlzheimer's Society is a membership organisation, which works to improve the quality of life of people affected by dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.Devon House, 58 St Katharine's Way, London, E1W 1LB020 7423 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.alzheimers.org.uk/
- Arts 4 DementiaArts 4 Dementia helps develop activities at arts venues to re-energise and inspire people in the early stages of dementia and their carers. The Music Base, King's Place, 90 York Way, London, N1 9AG020 7520 email@example.com://www.arts4dementia.org.uk/
- The Reader OrganisationThe Reader Organisation is a charitable social enterprise working to connect people with literature through shared reading. The older people and dementia work programme uses shared reading to improve quality of life and care for people living with dementia and their carers.Calderstones Mansion House, Calderstones Park, Liverpool, L18 3JB0151 729 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.thereader.org.uk/
- Walking for WellnessWould you like to go walking with others? Walking for Wellness offers the opportunity to be supported in joining other people with dementia who enjoy walking and having " time out"0161 256 email@example.com
- Dementia Friendly Tea DanceCome and join us at our Dementia Friendly Tea Dance run by Boroughcare. We meet on the 2nd Monday of the month from 2pm-4pm at Offerton Community Centre.Offerton Community Centre, Mallowdale Road, Offerton, Stockport, SK2 5NX07794810032
- SMILE Low Impact Physical ActivityThis activity group meets on a Monday 11.00am-12pm at Life Leisure Avondale in Edgeley. The group costs £3.00 and is part of the Dementia Drop In Group.Life Leisure Avondale, Heathbank Road, Edgeley, Stockport, SK3 0UP0161 482 0900 or 07780472648Ross.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Woodbank Dementia Friendly Walking GroupWe are a friendly group who have a light walk around the park followed by a brew in Vernon Cafe. We meet on a Tuessday 1.30 at Vernon Park Cafe on Turncroft Lane in Offerton. This group is run in conjunction with Boroughcare. For further ...Vernon Park Cafe, Turncroft Lane, Offerton, Stockport, SK1 4AR
- The Kitchen – dementia drop in on MondaysThe Kitchen NEW Dementia Drop In The Kitchen: weekly drop in on Monday 11am-1pm – Chestergate The Kitchen runs a weekly dementia drop in from 11:00am until 13:00pm on Mondays supported by volunteers, AGEUK Stockport, The Wellbeing Network and Signpost Stockport for Carers. The drop in is for ...SK1 1LZ, Graylaw House, Chestergate, Stockport Town Centre0161 804 44 email@example.com://www.pureinnovations.co.uk/what-we-offer/our-cafes/the-kitchen/