Activities and social groups
Remaining active, occupied and engaged with others is important and can support individual and family resilience.
Many interests, hobbies and pastimes that have been enjoyed can continue with support or with adjustments and can include movement and exercise, creative arts, culture and religion.
There may be local initiatives which are specifically for people with dementia, these may include: lunch clubs, memory cafes, peer support groups, day hospital/day treatment centres
- Active Minds – dementia activity resourcesFebruary 15 2016Active Minds produce a suite of activity products to assist people with dementia in leading active, engaging and fulfilling lives - enjoying activities that are meaningful to them.
- The Daily SparkleFebruary 8 2016The Daily Sparkle is a professionally written daily and weekly reminiscence and activity tool supported by the UK's leading care organisations such as the NHS, AgeUK and DementiaUK.
- Prime Minister’s challenge on dementia 2020February 21 2015The Prime Minister recently launched the government’s five year vision for the future of dementia care, support and research, which follows on from the existing Prime Minister’s Challenge on Dementia, launched in March 2012.
- Dementia: A state of the nation report on dementia care and support in EnglandNovember 29 2013This report, published by the Department of Health, sets out what is known about dementia care, support and research. It highlights where improvements are being made and where improvements are needed.
- Building dementia-friendly communities: A priority for everyoneSeptember 3 2013This report, published by the Alzheimer's Society, explores evidence from people with dementia about their experiences of living in their community and the ten key things they would like to see in a dementia-friendly community.
- QS30: Supporting people to live well with dementiaApril 3 2013This quality standard, published by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), covers the care and support of people with dementia.
- Dementia AdventureDementia Adventure is a registered charity dedicated to supporting people with dementia to get outdoors, connect with nature, themselves and their community, and retain a sense of adventure in their lives.Unit 11, Old Park Farm, Main Road, Ford End, Essex, CM3 1LN01245 email@example.com http://www.dementiaadventure.co.uk/
- Engage & CreateEngage & Create is a not-for-profit organisation that uses creativity and conversation to improve the quality of life for people with dementia and those that care for them.Brighton, UKrachel@engageandcreate.comhttp://www.engageandcreate.com
- ThriveThrive is the leading charity in the UK using gardening to change the lives of disabled people. Thrive run structured programmes of activities for people with dementia which focus on positive reminiscence, re-connecting with others including friends and family and gentle appropriate exercise and cognitive stimulationThe Geoffrey Udall Centre, Beech Hill, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 2AT0118 988 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.thrive.org.uk/
- Arts 4 DementiaArts 4 Dementia helps develop activities at arts venues to re-energise and inspire people in the early stages of dementia and their carers. The Music Base, King's Place, 90 York Way, London, N1 9AG020 7520 email@example.com://www.arts4dementia.org.uk/
- The Reader OrganisationThe Reader Organisation is a charitable social enterprise working to connect people with literature through shared reading. The older people and dementia work programme uses shared reading to improve quality of life and care for people living with dementia and their carers.Calderstones Mansion House, Calderstones Park, Liverpool, L18 3JB0151 729 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.thereader.org.uk/
- Alzheimer’s Society Waltham ForestThe Alzheimer's Society in Waltham Forest offers information and advice and runs support groups for people with dementia, their families and carers living in the borough of Waltham Forest.Part Waltham Forest Resource Hub, 1 Russell Road, London, E10 7ES020 8556 email@example.com
- Alzheimer’s SocietyAlzheimer's Society is a membership organisation, which works to improve the quality of life of people affected by dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.Devon House, 58 St Katharine's Way, London, E1W 1LB020 7423 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.alzheimers.org.uk/