Dementia support workers
Dementia Support Workers help people with dementia and their carers at the time of diagnosis and during the “dementia journey” to maintain their independence, improve their sense of well-being and take control of their own lives. They may be known as Dementia Advisors or Dementia Navigators.
- Dementia: assessment, management and support for people living with dementia and their carersJune 20 2018This NICE guideline covers diagnosing and managing dementia (including Alzheimer’s disease). It aims to improve care by making recommendations on training staff and helping carers to support people living with dementia.
- How living with dementia could beSeptember 2 2016This short animated video highlights how living with dementia could be through the 'well pathway for dementia'. It shows the importance of a holistic partnership approach to supporting the person with dementia, their families and carers within local community settings.
- Immediate post diagnosis support guidanceApril 9 2016This guidance document, published by the London Strategic Clinical Networks, has been created for professionals to support people with dementia and their carers immediately following diagnosis.
- Dementia advisers surveyApril 1 2016This report published by Ipsos MORI presents the findings of a survey into the provision of dementia adviser services throughout England.
- Joint declaration on post-diagnostic dementia care and supportJanuary 8 2016This joint declaration signed by signatories across government, health, social care and the third sector sets out a shared commitment to deliver good quality post-diagnostic dementia care.
- Dementia core skills education and training frameworkOctober 29 2015This framework published by Skills for Health, Health Education England and Skills for Care sets out the essential skills and knowledge necessary for all staff involved in dementia care.
- The dementia guideFebruary 22 2014This guide produced by the Alzheimer's Society is for anyone who has recently been told they have dementia.
- Dementia: A state of the nation report on dementia care and support in EnglandNovember 29 2013This report, published by the Department of Health, sets out what is known about dementia care, support and research. It highlights where improvements are being made and where improvements are needed.
- Peer support networks and dementia advisers: evaluationOctober 9 2013This report, published by the Department of Health, provides the findings of the Healthbridge evaluation into the role that dementia advisers and peer support networks can provide in post diagnostic support for people with dementia and their carers.
- Dementia adviser service: evaluationAugust 31 2013This report published by the Alzheimer's Society presents the findings of an evaluation of the Pathfinder Dementia Adviser services from the perspective of service users.
- CMG48: Support for commissioning of dementia careApril 3 2013This guidance produced by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) summarises the key commissioning issues and the resource impact that will arise from implementing improvements in the quality of care for people with dementia, in line with the statements and measures that comprise the NICE quality standards for dementia.
- QS30: Supporting people to live well with dementiaThis quality standard, published by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), covers the care and support of people with dementia.
- Ten tips for communicating with a person with dementiaSeptember 8 2012These top tips produced by the Family Caregiver Alliance will help practitioners and those caring for a person with dementia to improve communication skills and ability to handle the difficult behaviour.
- Unlocking Diagnosis: The key to improving the lives of people with dementiaJuly 4 2012This report published by the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Dementia (APPG) explores the barriers to dementia diagnosis in the UK. It makes recommendations to improve diagnosis rates and provide better post diagnosis support for people with dementia.
- An evaluation of dementia support worker rolesNovember 25 2011This report presents an evaluation of existing models of community-based support for people with dementia, their families and carers.
- Caring, compassionate, skilled – transforming the dementia workforceOctober 5 2011This guidance will support commissioners to better understand workforce planning and development issues that may impact staff working with people with dementia and their carers and families.
- Template action plan to improve care for people with dementia in the communityJuly 28 2011This is a template action plan for use by local authorities and commissioning consortia working together under the auspices of Health and Well-being Boards to improve care for those people with dementia who live in their own homes or in some other residential setting.
- Dementia: ethical issuesJanuary 25 2010This report published by the Nuffield Council on Bioethics presents an ethical framework to help practitioners who face dilemmas in connection with the everyday care of someone with dementia.
- Prepared to care – Challenging the dementia skills gapJune 4 2009This report published by the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Dementia (APPG) explores the scale of the challenge in training the caring professions in dementia, and how it may be met.
- Health Education EnglandHealth Education England (HEE) works across England to deliver high quality education and training for a better health and healthcare workforce.1st Floor, Blenheim House, Duncombe Street, Leeds, LS1 4PLhee.firstname.lastname@example.org://hee.nhs.uk/
- Waltham Forest Clinical Commissioning GroupWaltham Forest Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) commissions healthcare services for people who are registered with GPs in Waltham Forest. The CCG is led by GPs and other clinicians so that services are aligned to patients' needs. Kirkdale House, 7 Kirkdale Road, Leytonstone, London, E11 1HP020 3688 2604 http://www.walthamforestccg.nhs.uk/
- Alzheimer’s Society Waltham ForestThe Alzheimer's Society in Waltham Forest offers information and advice and runs support groups for people with dementia, their families and carers living in the borough of Waltham Forest.Part Waltham Forest Resource Hub, 1 Russell Road, London, E10 7ES020 8556 email@example.com
- Alzheimer’s SocietyAlzheimer's Society is a membership organisation, which works to improve the quality of life of people affected by dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.Devon House, 58 St Katharine's Way, London, E1W 1LB020 7423 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.alzheimers.org.uk/