Memory assessment services
Memory assessment services undertake a more detailed assessment of memory and other thinking processes.
This consists of a range of 'pen and paper' type or equivalent computer-based tests and questions that will look at things like memory, verbal and non-verbal abilities.
These tests can be helpful in deciding the type of problem a person may have, particularly in the early stages.
The assessment can be used as a baseline to measure any changes over time that can also help with making a diagnosis.
- Dementia: assessment, management and support for people living with dementia and their carersThis NICE guideline covers diagnosing and managing dementia (including Alzheimer’s disease). It aims to improve care by making recommendations on training staff and helping carers to support people living with dementia.
- Dementia Atlas: Putting a focus on dementiaThe Dementia Atlas is an interactive map that plots data about dementia care and support, allowing people to compare the quality of dementia care across the country.
- DeAR-GP (Dementia Assessment Referral to GP)DeAR–GP, developed by the South London Health Innovation Network, is a simple paper based case-finding tool which has been designed for use by care workers to identify people who are showing signs of dementia.
- Prime Minister’s Challenge on Dementia 2020 Implementation PlanThis implementation plan outlines how the 50 commitments set out in the Prime Minister’s challenge on dementia 2020 will be met, ensuring that England becomes the world-leader in dementia care, research and awareness by 2020.
- The dementia profileThe dementia profile developed by the Dementia Intelligence Network collects new and existing data on dementia at both Clinical Commissioning Group and local authority level. This will assist the local planning of services and support areas to make sustainable improvements from an easily accessible online platform.
- Prevalence of dementia in population groups by protected characteristics: a systematic review of the literatureThis literature review published by Public Health England examines evidence on how the prevalence of dementia varies with different characteristics, such as ethnicity, gender and religion.
- Models of dementia assessment and diagnosis: Indicative cost reviewThis report published by NHS England is designed to provide commissioners and service providers with detailed information about real alternative models of dementia assessment and diagnosis, with a cost breakdown.
- Dementia Advice Service – Andover MindDementia Advice Service for: Andover, Basingstoke, Deane and Alton, Eastleigh, Hart and Rushmoor, Romsey and Winchester www.andovermind.org.uk/dementia-advice/ 01264 353363 Dementia Contact list 2015 (and see below) How can we help? We are a consistent point of contact and support from first diagnosis throughout your journey We ...
- Dementia and People with Intellectual Disabilities: Guidance on their Assessment, Diagnosis, Interventions and SupportThis guidance published by the British Psychological Society aims to promote effective and timely assessment, diagnosis, interventions and support to people with intellectual disabilities who develop dementia.
- Prime Minister’s challenge on dementia 2020The Prime Minister recently launched the government’s five year vision for the future of dementia care, support and research, which follows on from the existing Prime Minister’s Challenge on Dementia, launched in March 2012.
- Dementia assessment and referral 2014-15This data collection reports on the number and proportion of patients aged 75 and over admitted as an emergency for more than 72 hours who have been identified as potentially having dementia, who are appropriately assessed and, where appropriate, referred on to specialist services in England.
- 10 key steps to improving timely diagnosis: A resource pack for Commissioners and General PracticesThis resource pack sets out key steps for Commissioners, and key steps for General Practices to improve the diagnosis of dementia, and the diagnosis pathway.
- Dementia: A state of the nation report on dementia care and support in EnglandThis report, published by the Department of Health, sets out what is known about dementia care, support and research. It highlights where improvements are being made and where improvements are needed.
- Guidance on the use of neuro-imaging in the assessment of dementia in Primary CareThis guidance for Clinical Commissioning Groups and Health and Wellbeing Boards covers the role of neuro-imaging in the assessment and diagnosis of dementia in primary care.
- Dementia Prevalence CalculatorThe Dementia Prevalence Calculator presents an opportunity for all health communities to gain a better understanding of their local estimated prevalence of dementia in the community, and among people living in local care homes.
- CMG48: Support for commissioning of dementia careThis guidance produced by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) summarises the key commissioning issues and the resource impact that will arise from implementing improvements in the quality of care for people with dementia, in line with the statements and measures that comprise the NICE quality standards for dementia.
- Dementia diagnosis resource packThis resource pack produced by Dementia Partnerships sets out key steps for Commissioners and General Practices to improve the diagnosis of dementia, and diagnosis pathways.
- Dementia READ codesThis knowledge summary produced by Dementia Partnerships defines a standard set of READ codes for the diagnosis of dementia to be used by general practices and memory assessment services.
- Unlocking Diagnosis: The key to improving the lives of people with dementiaThis report published by the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Dementia (APPG) explores the barriers to dementia diagnosis in the UK. It makes recommendations to improve diagnosis rates and provide better post diagnosis support for people with dementia.
- Guidance and standards for diagnosing dementiaThis guidance sets out the process and associated standards for making a diagnosis of dementia in primary health care services, and by specialist memory assessment services.
- NICE Clinical guideline CG42 Dementia: supporting people with dementia and their carers in health and social careThis guideline, published by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), makes specific recommendations on Alzheimer's disease, dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB), fronto temporal dementia, vascular dementia and mixed dementias, as well as recommendations that apply to all types of dementia.