Dementia Friendly GP Surgeries iSPACEMay 7 2015
The Wessex AHSN supported Dr Nicola Decker to make her surgery dementia friendly. She adopted a bundle of actions which centre on addressing the culture and ways of working in the organisation. Staff training, partnership working with patients and carers and forging links to external agencies have been undertaken in this project.
iSPACE consists of 6 key steps to becoming a Dementia Friendly Practice:
- Identify one or two Dementia Champions in the practice
- Staff who are skilled and have time to care
- Partnership working with carers, family and friends
- Assessment and early identification of dementia
- Care plans which are person centred
- Environments that are dementia friendly
An evaluation conducted by the Centre for Implementation Science, University of Southampton, found improvements to patient and carer experience, staff delivery of iSPACE and clinical consultations, with the caveat that this study was not able to control for the effects of other national schemes occurring simultaneously.
Find out more about the project on the Wessex AHSN website at http://wessexahsn.org.uk/projects/45/creating-dementia-friendly-gp-surgeries-ispace
Please contact Katherine Barbour, project manager email@example.com for more information.