Various psychological tests are available to be used to test for complaints of memory problems or when a diagnosis of dementia is being considered. Although the Mini Mental State Examination (MMSE) was the most commonly used test it is not now recommended because of copyright reasons and ceiling and floor effects in early and late dementia respectively.
Recommended tests include:
- the Abbreviated Mental Test Score (AMTS)
- the General Practitioner Assessment of Cognition (GPCOG)
- the Mini-Cog
- the Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MOCA), and
- the Functional Activities Questionnaire.
- Dementia: assessment, management and support for people living with dementia and their carersJune 20 2018This NICE guideline covers diagnosing and managing dementia (including Alzheimer’s disease). It aims to improve care by making recommendations on training staff and helping carers to support people living with dementia.
- 10 key steps to improving timely diagnosis: A resource pack for Commissioners and General PracticesJanuary 29 2014This resource pack sets out key steps for Commissioners, and key steps for General Practices to improve the diagnosis of dementia, and the diagnosis pathway.
- Helping you to assess cognition: A practical toolkit for cliniciansMarch 12 2013This toolkit published by the Alzheimer's Society provides guidance to clinicians about what cognitive function tests are available and how they may be used in clinical practice.
- DiADeM (Diagnosis of Advanced Dementia Mandate in Care Homes)April 14 2016This protocol developed by the Yorkshire and Humber Dementia Strategic Clinical Network aims to support GPs to diagnose dementia for people living with advanced dementia in a care home setting.
- Unlocking Diagnosis: The key to improving the lives of people with dementiaJuly 4 2012This report published by the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Dementia (APPG) explores the barriers to dementia diagnosis in the UK. It makes recommendations to improve diagnosis rates and provide better post diagnosis support for people with dementia.
- Montreal cognitive assessmentMay 12 2014The Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA) is a rapid screening instrument for mild cognitive dysfunction suitable for use in primary care settings.
- Mini-CogThe Mini-Cog is a brief cognitive function test to screen for cognitive impairment in older adults in the primary care setting.
- NICE Clinical guideline CG42 Dementia: supporting people with dementia and their carers in health and social careMarch 1 2011This guideline, published by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), makes specific recommendations on Alzheimer's disease, dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB), fronto temporal dementia, vascular dementia and mixed dementias, as well as recommendations that apply to all types of dementia.
- Abbreviated mental test scoreMay 12 2014The Abbreviated mental test score (AMTS) was developed in 1972 for assessing cognition. The test takes around five minutes and is widely used, particularly in UK general hospital settings.
- Six Item Cognitive Impairment TestThe Six Item Cognitive Impairment Test (6CIT) is a brief cognitive function test which takes less than five minutes and is widely used in primary care settings.
- ACEmobileMay 13 2014ACEmobile is a mobile-friendly version of the Addenbrooke’s Cognitive Examination (ACE-III), a popular and commonly-used screening tools for dementia.
- General practitioner assessment of cognitionMay 12 2014The General practitioner assessment of cognition (GPCOG) is a reliable, valid and efficient tool to use to screen for dementia in primary care settings for people with carers.
- Addenbrookes cognitive examination-IIIThe Addenbrooke's Cognitive Examination-III (ACE) is one of the most popular and commonly used cognitive tests used in dementia clinics and in the assessment of other neurological disorders.
- Tunbridge Wells Memory ServiceTunbridge Wells Memory Service offers memory assessments, diagnosis and treatment if clinically indicated.Highlands House, 10-12 Calverley Park Gardens, Tunbridge Wells, TN1 2JN01892 email@example.com://www.kmpt.nhs.uk/services/tunbridge-wells-community-mental-health-team-for-older-people/7002
- Alzheimer’s Society West KentOur mission is to transform the landscape of dementia forever.1-7 Commercial Road, Paddock Wood, Tonbridge TN12 6YT, UK01892 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.alzheimers.org.uk/
- Cognitive neurology and dementia centreThe Cognitive neurology and dementia centre at St George's Hospital is a regional specialist centre for cognitive neuroscience and dementia, that works closely with other hospitals from across South West London, Surrey, Sussex and Hampshire, and with GPs, community nursing teams, mental health services and social services.St George's Hospital, Blackshaw Road, London, SW17 0QThttps://www.stgeorges.nhs.uk/service/neuro/cognitive-neurology-dementia/