The Reader OrganisationMay 28 2015
As a result of the ongoing pandemic, changes have been made to our provisions which are now offered alternatively, either online, through email, or over the phone.
We’ve also created a new programme of support for partner organisations who want to utilise reading with their clients as a means of support and personal well-being. Here is a document that briefly outlines our current offers for partner organisations also click here to know how services users can join our weekly Shared Reading groups via Zoom or over the phone.
The Reader Organisation is a charitable social enterprise working to connect people with literature through shared reading.
The aims of the older people and dementia work programme are to
- ensure quality literature and our unique shared reading model is accessible to all irrespective of age or health
- improve quality of life and care for people living with dementia and their carers
- establish shared reading as a non-medical intervention for people with a diagnosis of dementia
For older people and those living with dementia, shared reading groups improve quality of life through cognitive stimulation, social interaction and meaningful engagement each week.
Carers and care home staff notice that improvements in mood and concentration last long after the group has finished, demonstrating the wider impact of the groups.
- improved mood for 86% of readers
- greater concentration for 87% of readers
- increased social interaction for 73%
- less agitation for 86% of readers
Find out more about the Reader Organisation at www.thereader.org.uk